Pioneer Crew 556
Objectives of 4‐H Shooting Sports Program
The 4‐H Shooting Sports Program strives to enable young people, their parents and adult
volunteers to become responsible, self‐directed and productive members of society.
Professionals, leaders, instructors and coaches must understand the goals and objectives of
the 4‐H program. The program transfers knowledge, skills and attitudes to develop human
capital, using the subject matter and resources of the land‐grant universities.
Some of the specific goals and objectives of the 4‐H Shooting Sports Program are to:
• promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, and
• teach decision making, teamwork, self discipline, self‐confidence,
and problem solving;
• encourage an appreciation and understanding of natural resources;
• develop leadership abilities;
• build character and willingness to assume citizenship responsibility;
• furnish enjoyable, positive relationships with peers and adult instructors;
• strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities;
• build awareness of related career opportunities;
• compliment and enhance the impact of existing safety, shooting and hunter
Remember the differences in the age, experience, abilities and development of young
people when programs are presented. Refer to a publication on ages and stages of
development to be sure appropriate methods are used to reach the objectives.